To further accommodate the expansion of its activities, in 1994 the Institute was able to purchase the Carriage House at 13 Henry Johnson Boulevard. Located in the Washington Park Historic District, this long, narrow, brick and gray stone structure was once a stable and servants’ quarters to the 411 State Street property. The Carriage House is a turn-of-the-century Dutch Revival Style building characterized by gables, sets of small paned windows placed asymmetrically, and arched brick and stone lintels.
Construction on the Carriage House began in 1900 by William F. Proctor who was also constructing the residence at 411 State Street. In 1902, Anthony N. Brady purchased the residence at 411 State Street and the Carriage House. The house and stable came into different hands in 1925; it was owned by a succession of real estate companies. Among the occupants of the building were Patrick Fogarty, engineer, and Robert Reedy, clerk (1914); and Edson Houck, photographer, and the Minor Motor Co. (1925). From the thirties through the fifties the Carriage House was occupied by various commercial and residential tenants; in the 1970’s the local chapter of the American Institute of Architects and the Preservation Design Group occupied the property. Prior to the purchase of the property by the Rockefeller Institute, the Carriage House was occupied by the architectural firm of O’Conner and Marsh.
The Carriage House is home to the Rockefeller Institute’s Center for Law & Policy Solutions.