The Rockefeller Institute purchased 415 State Street in 1992 to accommodate the expansion of its activities. Along with a sister building across a courtyard, 423 State Street, 415 State Street was built around 1901 in the Classic Revival style by the Fuller and Pitcher architectural firm. These buildings were constructed as residences for two prominent Albany businessmen, Charles Gibson and William J. Walker, partners in the wholesale drug firm, Walker and Gibson.
According to the Albany county deed records, 415 State Street was never recorded, leaving an incomplete record of its history and its subsequent owners. It is assumed that at the death of Charles Gibson, his son, William W. Gibson, sold or donated the residence to the YMCA around 1945. The YMCA used the building for temporary housing and later sold it.
Renovations of the buildings were completed by Petersen, Mallin, Mendel Architects in 1992, the tenth anniversary of the Rockefeller Institute of Government. The building at 415 State Street is named for Governor Malcolm Wilson, who was a friend and close ally of Governor Rockefeller.